There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Cheese grits - PUBLISHED

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/cheese-grits-recipe-1915972

1 - Yup, this worked really well. Makes a hell of a lot! Next up is trying out the leftovers as fried grit cakes.
2 - Served as a base for fried eggs because I was out of bread. It went down real good!
3 - It is very good indeed. Now I'd like to document how I make the patties with the leftovers. They just need some flour added to make them hold while frying in the pan.

2 cups whole milk
2 cups water
1 1/2 tsps salt
1 cup coarse ground cornmeal
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup butter
4oz sharp Cheddar, shredded
  1. Bring the milk, water, and salt to a boil over medium-high heat.
  2. Gradually add the cornmeal while whisking continually. Once all the cornmeal has been incorporated, decrease the heat to low and cover. Every 3 to 4 minutes, remove the lid and beat with a wooden spoon to prevent grits from sticking or forming lumps; make sure to get into the corners. 
  3. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until the mixture is creamy.
  4. Remove from the heat, add the pepper and butter, and beat with a wooden spoon to combine. Once the butter is melted, gradually beat in the cheese a little at a time. Serve immediately.
NOTE: Leftover Cheese Grits Patties
  1. Weigh or measure the quantity of grits you have to work with.
  2. Add 1/4 of the total weight-or-measure in flour and mix thoroughly.
  3. Form into patties.
  4. Heat a fry pan for a couple of minutes before melting butter in it.
  5. Fry the patties until browned on both sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment