There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, December 9, 2021

Lentils and Lima Bean Dahl - Untested


1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp vegetable oil
2 tsp brown mustard seeds
2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
580ml (2 1/3 cups) water
1 large brown onion, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
200g (1 cup) brown lentils
1 300g can lima beans, rinsed, drained
250g pumpkin, deseeded, peeled, cut into 1.5cm pieces
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup loosely packed chopped fresh coriander
  1. Heat a saucepan over medium-low heat for 1 minute. Add the cumin seeds and cook for 30 seconds or until aromatic. Remove cumin seeds from pan and set aside. Add oil to pan and then mustard seeds. Cook, stirring, until seeds begin to pop. Add ground coriander, turmeric and chilli flakes, and cook, stirring for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
  2. Stir in 80ml (1/3 cup) of the water with the cumin seeds, onion, garlic and ginger. Bring to a simmer and cook, covered, for 10 minutes or until the onion softens.
  3. Stir in remaining water and lentils. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, covered, for 10 minutes. Stir in butter beans and pumpkin, and cook, almost covered, for 20 minutes or until lentils and pumpkin are tender and mixture is thick.
  4. Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper. Stir in coriander. 

No comments:

Post a Comment