There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Winter Pork Stew - Testing

0 - Adapting this from Lamb with Winter Vegetables since we're raising pigs, not sheep! Also trying to figure out how to use pork loin chops. The trick, I think, is to keep the cooking time for the meat at a minimum, just to get it cooked through, so that it doesn't become tough. - IDEA looked at other slow cooker recipes with pork loin in and decided to try this one with it.

2 Tbsps oil
1 lb pork loin, cubed 
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 cups beef broth
1 cup dry red wine
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme
1 Bay leaf
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 bay leaf
2 peeled, sliced carrots
2 peeled, sliced parsnips (cut smaller than carrots - parsnip cook more slowly)
2 peeled, diced  potatoes
1 lb turnip or rutabaga, diced
1/2 cup cream
3 Tbsps flour
  1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan, and brown the meat on all sides. Set aside. 
  2. In the same pan fry the onion until softening, then add the beef broth, wine, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
  3. Put in the slow cooker the carrots, parsnips, sweet potatoes, celery, and turnip, then reintroduce the pork. Bring to a rapid simmer and cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and the meat has cooked through. 
  4. Cover and cook on high 3 1/2-4 hours or on low for 7 - 8 hours
  5. In a small bowl, blend the cream and flour. Gradually stir in 1/2 cup of the hot stew mixture.
  6. Stir the cream mixture into the saucepan. Remove the bay leaf, and continue to cook and stir until thickened.

No comments:

Post a Comment