There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, February 27, 2022

Barley'd Pork Stew - Untested


1/3 cup (75g) of lard or butter
3 carrots (180gr), quartered lengthways and chopped
3 celery sticks (50gr), finely sliced
2 onions (200gr), finely diced
1/4 tsp black pepper
3 Tbsps finely chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme leaves, plus extra sprigs, chopped
2 bay leaves
3 oz bacon, cut into lardons
4 cloves, crowns pinched to release flavor
A pinch of nutmeg
1 Tbsp tomato paste, rounded
1 lb 5oz (600g) pork shoulder, diced
1/2 cup (125ml) red wine
3-4oz (100g) pearl barley
Salt
  1. In a large oven-ready pot with a lid, heat your fat of choice over medium heat and fry the veg, herbs, bacon, cloves, nutmeg and black pepper. Before any real browning occurs, add the tomato paste. Cook, stirring constantly, for another minute or so, then add the pork shoulder and stir to combine.
  2. Stir in the wine and allow to simmer for a minute or so. Add enough water to come up to the level of the mixture – no higher (you'll have to eyeball this). 
  3. Cook, covered, in a very gentle simmer for 1 hour 45 minutes to 2 hours or until the pork is tender – add a little water if it’s starts to look too dry). 
  4. NOTE: Forty five minutes before the end of the cooking time, stir the pearl barley into the stew.
  5. When cooked, the stew should appear moist rather than wet or dry. Season to taste with salt , then stir through the extra thyme sprigs to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment