There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, March 5, 2022

Cream Cake - Test 1


I've made this once, but have to admit I have no memory of it. I kept the recipe, therefore it had to be ok. I was likely looking for a simple vanilla white cake recipe.
1 - A very simple and quick cake! It's a great sponge cake recipe, I think. I'm rewording the instructions.
2 - This is only enough for one layer of cake, so only one cake pan! I have to make it again this way. I divided the batter into two cake pans which made super thin layers, which would be ok if that's what I wanted, but I'd likely have to reduce the baking time. Oh, and reducing the temperature from 350 to 325 seems to help with the doming effect in the middle, but I still have to try it with the single cake pan/thicker cake.

Yield - 1x8" cake pan.

2 eggs
¾ cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 tsps baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup heavy whipping cream
(Optional: Fruit coulis and liquid whipping cream)
  1. Preheat oven to 350 325F. Line and grease an 8" round cake pan.
  2. Beat eggs in a small bowl until thick and frothy before adding the sugar and the vanilla. Continue to beat vigorously until well combine and thick and fluffy.
  3. Add the baking powder, and salt and beat in. 
  4. Alternate adding, in three parts, the flour mixture and the whipping cream, mixing until combined. (this would look like 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup cream, 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup cream, 1/2 cup flour)
  5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
  6. Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes.
  7. Option to serve - a drizzle of coulis with a drizzle of thick cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment