There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Pâte sablée - Testing


0 - The instructions come from the first link, and is all done by hand. I've included the second because it is slightly more complicated and uses just egg yolk. While I appreciate separating eggs when necessary, when it is not, I prefer not to.
1 - The simpler version worked quite nicely. I've made it twice now, and it's just fine.

100gr butter
250gr flour
1 egg
125gr sugar
1 pinch salt
1 lemon zeste or vanilla extract
  1. Melt the butter and allow it to cool a bit.
  2. Put the flour in a large bowl and form a deep well in the center. 
  3. Whisk together the egg, sugar and salt until the yellow from the yolk turns pale. 
  4. Into the well pour the egg mixture, the zest of extract, then the cooled butter (make sure the butter is cool enough that it won't cook the egg).
  5. Mix with your hands until you obtain a smooth dough.
  6. Here you have two choices, either to press it into a pie plate or to roll it out. If you elect for the latter, refrigerate the dough by flattening it into a rough disk, wrapping it and leaving it for 15 minutes to a half hour. Thoroughly flour your board before rolling it out.
  7. Blind bake at 400F for 12-15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment