There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Pork ribs and beans - Testing


1 - This was good, I ended up using the instructions in the Notes for super fall-off-the-bone, and it worked. The beans were really good, and having them the next day with eggs was really good. The improvement I'm looking for in the glaze. It was really acid and tomato-ey. I substituted the honey for maple syrup. Next time, I'll stick with the honey and TASTE the sauce before I use it. I wonder if balsamic vinegar might also help.
2 - Well, that was disappointing. The beans had little flavor so I need to add salt to it and how much. The glaze for the ribs was actually much improved though, and I think I could make more for more goo. I also only had 1 lb of ribs and didn't change the amount of beans. Oh, and I think I omitted the tomato paste from the beans. Which should go back in.

2 cup dried beans
4 cups chicken broth
28oz can diced tomatoes, drained
1/2 cup dry white wine
4 garlic cloves, smashed
1 tsp salt
One 6-inch rosemary sprig plus 1/2 tsp finely chopped rosemary (trying herbes de provence)
2+1 Tbsps tomato paste
2 racks baby back ribs and/or side ribs (about 4 pounds), cut into 3-rib sections
2 Tbsps balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp honey (TO TASTE)
Salt and ground pepper
  1. In a slow cooker, combine the beans with the broth, tomatoes, wine, garlic, salt, rosemary sprig and 2 Tbsps of the tomato paste. 
  2. Cook the beans on High for 3 hours. 
  3. Nestle the ribs into the beans, cover and cook on High until the ribs are almost fall-off- the-bone tender, 2 to 3 hours more. Test the beans, if they need to cook longer transfer the ribs to a rimmed baking sheet and cover with foil. 
  4. Discard the rosemary sprig and skim off as much fat as possible once the beans are cooked.
  5. Shortly before serving, preheat the broiler. 
  6. In a small bowl, mix the remaining 1 Tbsp of tomato paste with the balsamic vinegar and honey. 
  7. Season the ribs with salt and pepper and set them on a baking sheet, meaty side up. 
  8. Brush with the balsamic glaze and broil the ribs about 3 inches from the heat for about 3 minutes, rotating if necessary, until browned and heated through. 
  9. Cut into individual ribs. (?)
  10. Stir the chopped rosemary (? where did this come from ?) into the beans and season with salt and pepper. Spoon the beans into shallow bowls, top with the glazed ribs and serve.
NOTES
Cook times depend on the results you are looking for:
LOW: 7 HOURS / HIGH: 3 HOURS — Ribs that are soft but stay on the bone (as shown in the video in post).
LOW: 9 HOURS / HIGH: 4-5 HOURS — Tender, fall apart ribs that melt in your mouth like butter (as shown in the images in post).

No comments:

Post a Comment