There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Savory Tarte Tatin - Testing


1 - I've made this once before but took no notes. However, I was interested enough to try it again. I ended up dicing everything instead of leaving them in rounds and it was very good. My homemade puff pastry worked just fine with it, too. I didn't add the vinegar to the hot caramel, so this still has to happen to graduate the recipe to anything. I'll try the full rounds next time as well, just to see. It works perfectly well in an 8" pie plate, but it means I have to reduce the size of the disk of the pastry dough from 12" to something less. Maybe 10"?

About 2.5hrs

1 medium potato (7oz/200gr), peeled, sliced into ½” rounds
7oz/200gr sweet winter squash, peeled, ½” slices
2 medium carrots (4oz/120gr), peeled, sliced into ½” rounds
1 medium parsnip (4oz/120gr), peeled, sliced into ½” rounds
1 small onion (4oz/120gr), sliced into ½” rounds
¼ cup olive oil
Salt and ground black pepper
⅓ cup sugar
1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1½ tsps chopped fresh rosemary
1½ tsps chopped fresh sage
4oz fresh goat cheese
1 disk pie dough 
  1. Starting well in advance (up to 4hrs but that implies a level of organization I rarely meet), roast the vegetables by placing a rack in the lower third of the oven.
  2. While prepping the veg, preheat the oven to 400°. 
  3. Toss potato, squash, carrots, parsnip, and onion with oil on a rimmed baking sheet; season with salt and pepper and arrange vegetables in a single layer. Roast until golden around the edges and tender, 30–35 minutes. Let cool.
  4. Meanwhile, cook sugar and 2 Tbsp. water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, swirling pan occasionally, until mixture is amber-colored, 5–7 minutes. Remove from heat and add vinegar and a pinch of salt, swirling pan to combine. Quickly pour caramel into a 9”-diameter pie pan; tilt and rotate pan to evenly coat bottom with caramel. Scatter rosemary and sage over top. Set aside until veg is ready.
  5. Arrange potatoes, squash, carrots, and parsnips snugly in a single layer on top of the caramel, using smaller carrot and parsnip pieces to fill in any holes. Scatter onion rings over all, and crumble goat cheese over vegetables.
  6. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to a 12” (10"?) round. Drape over the vegetables, tucking edges into the pan. Prick the dough all over with a fork. Bake until the crust looks dry, in other words that the fat has been absorbed into the dough, about 20 minutes; reduce the heat to 350° and bake until the crust is golden brown, 15–20 minutes.
  7. Let the tart cool 5 minutes before inverting carefully onto a large plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment