There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, March 18, 2022

Ragout de porc au yogourt - Test 1


1 - instant hit. Yogurt curdled, didn’t soak the fenugreek but toasted and ground in a pestle, needs rice. Tried with roast potato and not a great match. Rice is king.
2 - I may have discovered something about this recipe. When I first put in the yogurt, it combined with the oil to become this lovely smooth sauce. But in stewing the pork in the yogurt, it curdled and looked gross. I think the order of things is off in this recipe, so I'm going to try a few things to change it, and one of them is putting the yogurt in last, just to warm through.

1 tsp fenugreek (toast and grind before using)
1/2 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp grated ginger
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
2lbs pork loin, cubed
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp chilli powder
2 cups plain yogurt 
1 bunch fresh mint
  1. In a dry pan toast the fenugreek and grind in a mortar and pestle. 
  2. Heat a few Tbsps of the total amount of olive oil in a wide-bottomed pot and brown the pork cubes on all sides. 
  3. Add the rest of the oil along with the ginger, garlic and pepper flakes and stir until fragrant.
  4. Add the salt, ground fenugreek, chilli powder and mix well.
  5. Mix in the yogurt and stir until the yogurt combines with the oil and thickens.
  6. Last step before serving, roughly chop the fresh mint and mix in. 
  7. Serve with rice.

'Original' translated instructions
  1. In a dry pan toast the fenugreek and grind in a mortar and pestle. 
  2. Heat the olive oil in a big wide-bottomed pot before adding the ginger, garlic and pepper flakes and stir until fragrant.
  3. Brown the pork on all sides. 
  4. Add the salt, ground fenugreek, chilli powder and mix well.
  5. Mix in the yogurt. Cook for about 20 minutes until the yogurt thickens.
  6. Last step before serving, roughly chop the fresh mint and mix in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment