There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, February 23, 2023

Kale Saag Paneer - Untested


500 g chopped kale
2 large onions, coarsely chopped
4 garlic cloves, smashed
1" knob of ginger, coarsely chopped
1 small green chili, chopped
1 cup water
1 Tbsp ghee, butter or oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 bay leaf
1 Tbsp ground cumin
½ tsp garam masala
¼ tsp red chilli powder
2 ½ tsps salt 
¼ cup heavy cream
500 g paneer, cubed
knob of butter and herbs, to serve
  1. Steam the kale for approximately 8 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
  2. Prepare the onion, garlic, ginger and chili. Put these spices and the kale in a blender with the water and process until perfectly smooth. Set aside.
  3. Heat the ghee in a sauté pan on medium. Add the cumin seeds and bay leaf. Fry for a few seconds until starting to sizzle and pop. 
  4. Add the kale purée to the hot pan and reduce heat to low. Cook gently while occasionally stirring for approximately 10 minutes. 
  5. Add ground cumin, garam masala, chilli powder and salt. Mix well and cook for another 10 minutes. If the sauce starts to feel a bit dry, add a ¼ cup water to loosen it. 
  6. Add cream and paneer. Mix well. Cook for a further 3-4 minutes until cream is well incorporated and warmed through. Remove from heat.
  7. Garnish with herbs. Serve hot with a knob of butter

No comments:

Post a Comment