There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, March 3, 2023

Brownies - Testing


1 - A successful first try. I used my metal bread tin and I just don't like that baking dish! The middle of the brownie sank, and I repeatedly get similar results in that pan no matter what I bake in it. I must try this again, but in a different dish, to see if the results change.

3/4 (150g) cup sugar
6 Tbsps (60g) all-purpose flour
5 Tbsps (40g) Dutch-process unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 oz (70g) coarsely chopped bittersweet or semisweet chocolate
1/4 cup (35g) toasted almonds hazelnuts, whole
5 Tbsps (2 1/2 oz, 70g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
1 large egg, at room temperature
  1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
  2. Butter an 8 1/2-x-4 1/2-inch (22 x 11cm) loaf pan. Cut a long, narrow strip of parchment paper that will line the bottom of the pan and go up the two smaller sides of the pan, which’ll help you lift the brownies out later.
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
  4. Stir in the chocolate and nuts, then the cooled melted butter then the egg, mixing just until combined. Spread the batter in the prepared baking pan. If it’s thick, use a spatula or the back of a soupspoon to even it out.
  5. Bake until the center of the cake feels barely set, about 22-25 minutes.
  6. Remove from the oven and let cool completely. When cool, lift out the brownies using the parchment paper as handles, and cut into bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment