There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, March 9, 2023

Berry Crumble - Testing


We recently view the Poirot episode of Four and Twenty Blackbirds and they talked about a blackberry crumble. It just so happens that we have loads of frozen blackberries I've been wanting to get at, and was inspired!

1 - This was very tasty and also needs a little adjusting. There seems to be no good reason to use cold butter, so I will try with melted. Also, I can see the value of the arrowroot flour, but there may have been too much of it.
2 - I decided to simplify this and just used flour instead of arrowroot or corn starch to thicken the filling. It's a great last-minute dessert and I really like the cruchiness of the topping. I do wonder if I could reduce the sugar, but otherwise this is very good as it is.
3 - The thickening agent continues to be a challenge. I used the arrowroot and it congealed in the corners. Was there too much? Did I not spread it evenly enough? I tried using just flour and I don't think it was as good. And I can't remember if I used cornstarch or not.
4 - I keep making this and it's very good. I'm still stuck on the thickening agent. The arrowroot is fine, this time around I only put in 3 Tbsps. and it was good. It's when it bubbles along the edges that the arrowroot turns into weird jujube texture.
5 - Tried to make in ramekins, and note, it went in with mostly frozen berries and came out reduced by half. Do I thaw the filling first, sort of heat it up without actually cooking, then fill the ramekins?
6 - Tried in ramekins again, 150g per ramekin (I had 6 ramekins, divided the amount by 6), and the filling overwhelmed the streusel. So, less filling?

Crumble Filling
6 cups frozen berries (2lbs/680g) (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and/or blackberries)
4 to 5 Tbsps (3Tbsps. arrowroot flour), more if needed (only half if using fresh)
1 Tbsp lemon juice or lime juice
Crumble Topping
1½ (180g) cups flour
¾ cup (156g) brown sugar
⅓ cup (67g) granulated sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon or Poudre Douce
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup (6oz/169gr) butter, melted 
OPTIONAL ½ cup finely chopped nuts (50g) (such as walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts or pine nuts)
  1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 9" baking dish and set aside.
  2. Prepare the Filling 
  3. Combine the berries, flour and lemon juice in a medium bowl and stir to combine. Allow to sit for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  4. Spread evenly into the bottom of the prepared dish.
  5. Prepare the Crumble Topping
  6. Melt the butter.
  7. Combine the flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl and stir to combine.
  8. Add the butter and mix together until completely combined.
  9. Sprinkle the crumble topping on top of the fruit mixture in the prepared dish and spread evenly.
  10. Bake for 30 minutes until bubbly and golden. 
  11. Let cool for at least 15 minutes to allow the filling to thicken.
270*6 + 247*2
1/2 tsp per ramikin
66g per ramikin (533/8)

No comments:

Post a Comment