There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, March 20, 2023

Hamantaschen - Untested


Such different recipes! The one below is from Delish. The Cooking Foodie only requires 1 egg yolk! Both the Delish and the NYTimes (below) recipe require powdered sugar.

1 c. (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 c. granulated sugar
3 large eggs
3 1/2 c. all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
Zest from 1 lemon
Egg wash, for brushing
Poppy seed filling (Mohn)
  1. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and beat well. Mix in flour, baking powder, salt, and vanilla.
  2. When thoroughly mixed, cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
  3. Preheat oven to 375º. Roll dough on well-floured surface. (Keep unused dough cold.) Cut circles, using a glass or clean Solo can, dipped in flour. Brush each circle with egg wash, then top with fruit filling.
  4. Bring up 3 corners and pinch to form a triangle. Place on cookie sheet.
  5. Brush outsides with egg wash and bake until slightly browned, 15 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.

Poppy Seed Filling  (Mohn)

1 cup milk
½ cup sugar
Grated zest of ½ orange
1 cup poppy seeds
⅓ cup raisins
Juice of ½ lemon
½ tablespoon brandy
½ tablespoon orange liqueur
½ tablespoon butter
½ tablespoon vanilla extract
  1. Meanwhile, prepare the filling: Put milk, sugar and orange zest in a saucepan over medium heat. 
  2. Grind poppy seeds to a fine powder in coffee grinder, taking care not to over-process to a paste. 
  3. When milk mixture is warm, turn heat to low and add poppy seeds and raisins. Cook at a low simmer stirring frequently until the seeds absorb the milk and the mixture is thick, about 15 minutes. 
  4. Add the lemon juice, brandy, orange liqueur and butter. 
  5. Stir and cook for 2 minutes more. 
  6. Stir in the vanilla extract, remove from the heat and let cool completely

No comments:

Post a Comment