There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, August 4, 2023

Blueberry Cornmeal Skillet Cake - Untested

I am quite honestly too tired at the moment to actually make the comparison, but apart from the fruit how different is this recipe from my own cornbread?

½ cup butter softened
½ cup sugar
2 eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1¾ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup cornmeal
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
⅓ cup honey
½ cup yogurt or sour cream
2 cups blueberries fresh or frozen
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Heat a 10″ cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the butter to the pan and allow it to melt. Brush it up the sides and then pour the rest into a large bowl.
  3. Add the sugar to the butter and cream it together.
  4. Add the eggs, yogurt (or sour cream), honey, and vanilla.
  5. In a small bowl, whisk the flour, cornmeal, salt, cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda together.
  6. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and gently stir until just combined.
  7. Pour the batter into the skillet and sprinkle the berries over the top.
  8. Bake the cake for 30 minutes and then cover it with foil. Continue baking for 10-15 minutes until it passes the toothpick test.
  9. Notes
  10. You could also use blackberries, raspberries, sliced strawberries, or a combination of berries instead!
This recipe was adapted from the Blueberry Cornmeal Skillet Cake recipe in the book “Cake Stand: Fresh From the Market Farmstead Cakes” by Quinn Veon.

No comments:

Post a Comment