There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, November 18, 2023

Sauté Pork Heart - Testing

https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/pigs-heart-recipe

1 - Definitely tricky. It was fine but also chewy which would indicate that I overcooked it. I would like to try braising, but that takes 3 hours...

2 pigs hearts, trimmed of nerves and sinew
2 Tbsps. olive oil
1 carrot, finely diced
4 shallots, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 cup white wine
1 knob of butter (24g?)
salt
pepper

(I started by brining the hearts in brine - to make the brine, put 2 cups water, 1/4 cup salt and 3Tbsps brown sugar to boil until the salt and sugar dissolve, then add 2 cups cold water, brine the hearts for a maximum of 22hrs - I also added 7 juniper berries.)
  1. Place the hearts in a container, submerge in cold water and leave overnight. Change the water once or twice as this will help to remove all the blood and impurities. Remove from the water.
  2. Cut hearts into large cubes. While the wine is simmering, heat the butter in a pan over a medium-high heat. 
  3. Heat the olive oil. Sauté the carrots and shallots for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. 
  4. Add the wine and simmer for about 10 minutes.
  5. Add the diced heart and sauté until golden brown on the outside and slightly pink in the middle - if you overcook the hearts they will be tough and rubbery  
  6. Once cooked, season the hearts and mix in with the veg. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment