There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Pommes de Terre à La Boulangère - Test 1


Very slow at : 3h 15 min

Serves 6 

1 - While I still have to try baking the last hour with the casserole uncovered, this was very good. I made it with the brisket which is also a slow cooking meal at the same temperature.

2 - I baked it uncovered for the last hour. Something is wrong. It delicious, don't get me wrong, but all the liquid was still there, and in the instructions it's supposed to cook until all the liquid has been absorbed. I need to Frankenstein this baby to understand it better!

2+1 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. olive oil
4 onions, sliced (24oz/680g)
2 lbs. potatoes, thinly sliced
salt and pepper
1 to 2 Tbsp. thyme, minced
2 cup beef stock
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 300°F/150°C. 
  2. Melt the first part of the butter with the olive oil in a sauté pan and gently fry the onions until soft and lightly golden, about 15 minutes. 
  3. Spread half of the onions in the bottom of a 4 quart casserole dish. 
  4. Layer half the sliced potatoes on top, and season liberally with salt and pepper. Scatter with all the thyme. 
  5. Add the rest of the onions as the next layer, then finish with the last of the potatoes.
  6. Pour over the stock, sprinkle with salt and pepper and dot with the remaining butter. 
  7. Cover with foil and bake until all the liquid has been absorbed, 2 to 3 hours, removing the foil for the last hour if you like a crisp top.

No comments:

Post a Comment