There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Beef Brisket - PUBLISHED

1 - Wow. Just wow. So good, so tender and it makes the best beef sandwiches with the leftovers. I can't remember where the recipe comes from, but it is very good. I wonder about replacing the onion powder and garlic powder with ground fresh?
2 - I used the seasoning leftover from the last time I made brisket (which was my first time) and it was delicious! It was a much smaller piece, only about 11/4lb and it must have been done a long time before I took it out of the oven. I'm figuring about 1hr per lb is probably just enough BUT this smaller piece ended up baking for just under a total of 4hrs and it was so tender, I could cut it with a fork like it was butter. Just amazing!
3 - So much yum. Although again it was a 2lb piece, not a 4lb one, it worked out just fine.
4 - For really fall-apart, it's likely a little more than 1hr per lb, but at 1 hr per lb you still get a very good, tender brisket.

2 Tbsps. chili powder
2 Tbsps. salt
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. onion powder
1 Tbsp. ground black pepper
1 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsps. dry mustard
1 bay leaf, crushed
4 lbs beef brisket, trimmed
1½ cups beef stock
  1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
  2. Make a dry rub by combining chili powder, salt, garlic and onion powders, black pepper, sugar, dry mustard, and bay leaf.
  3. Season the raw brisket on both sides with the rub.
  4. Place in a roasting pan and roast, uncovered, for 1 hour.
  5. Add beef stock and enough water to yield about ½ inch of liquid in the roasting pan.
  6. Lower oven to 300F, cover pan tightly and continue cooking for the equivalent of an additional 1 hour per lb, or until fork-tender, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 180 to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. 
  7. Allow to rest, covered, for 10 minutes.
  8. Trim the fat and slice meat thinly across the grain. Top with juice from the pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment