There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Testing - Pickled Carrots


  1. I ended up simmering on uber-low for much longer than recommended and the result was good. NEXT TIME try half using the exact recommendations and half with the longer simmer to see if there's a difference.
  2. I tried to bring the water to a boil with the carrots in, but the carrots overcooked. Lesson learned!
1 lb (450 g) carrots, peeled
1 1⁄4 cups (310 ml) water
1 cup (280 ml) apple cider vinegar
1⁄4 cup (50 g) sugar
2 garlic cloves, lightly-crushed
1 1/2 teaspoons fennel, dill, or anise seeds (See Note)
1 1/2 tablespoons coarse salt
2 bay leaves
  1. Cut the carrots into stick approximately the size of your fourth finger. Bring a medium-sized pot of lightly-salted water to a boil. (Use a non-reactive pot.)
  2. When the water boils, drop the carrots in and simmer for one minute. Pour into a colander and rinse under cold water. Drain thoroughly.
  3. In the same pot, heat the remaining ingredients. Once it begins to boil, reduce the heat and simmer for two minutes.
  4. Remove from heat and add the carrot sticks. Cool until room temperature, then put into jars and chill.
  5. Carrot sticks should be made at least one day in advance, and will keep for up to four weeks in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment