There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Testing - Apple Drum Bread Pudding: Timbale de pommes grand mère

1 - A good first try. It feels like a real "grandma" recipe, thrifty by using up leftovers, simple and quick to make, and comforting and sweet. I used Ben's farmhouse bread-machine bread recipe, and the bread became custardy, which he liked, but I felt like it was a bit too gluey and a bit slimey. Next I'll try to make is using the Wonder bread. I also discovered that there is a bread-to-other-ingredients-ratio that allows to scale the size of the recipe up or down (see below).
Actually in reviewing the recipe, I see that I totally didn't let it cool and turn it out - we spooned it out of the pot, piping hot. Will try cooling it.

1 lb. of apples (golden de preferance) x layer of bread, peeled and thinly sliced
stale bread, very thinly sliced into 1 oz slices (7 oz. recommended)
1 Tbsp 1/2 cup of butter x layer of bread + more to butter pan
1 Tbsp 3/4 cup icing (castor) sugar x layer of bread
2 Tbsps 1 cup of milk x layer of bread (handy table at bottom)
  1. Put oven rack in the middle position and preheat to 325F
  2. Butter a charlotte mold (or use a non-stick sauce pan).
  3. In layers, starting with a layer of bread slices, follow this order: bread - apple - butter - sugar, and repeat until all these ingredients are used up. Once the layers completed and your container is full, pour over the milk (for quantity, see below).
  4. Bake for 1 hour.
  5. Allow to cool completely before removing it from the mold and refrigerate.
  6. Serve cold in a pool of Crème anglaise.
1 slice2 Tbsps1/8 cup
2 slices4 Tbsps1/4 cup
3 slices6 Tbsps1/3 cup
4 slices8 Tbsps1/2 cup
5 slices10 Tbsps2/3 cup
6 slices12 Tbsps3/4 cup
7 slices14 Tbsps3/4 cup + 2 Tbsps
8 slices16 Tbsps1 cup

No comments:

Post a Comment