There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, January 19, 2015

Testing - Spicy Winter Beef Soup

1 - I did not have Pasilla chillies, but used some that had been languishing in the recesses of my spice cupboard for a couple of years. I have no idea what they are, but they substantially spicier than the Pasilla... which is not a bad thing.
The flavouring was unremarkable for this recipe.
TO TRY: I'd like to try again but replace with an equal amount the peas with corn, and probably some more Mexican-type spices.
- find something to replace the squash
2 - This worked well. I switched the pasilla for dried chipotle and added cumin and chilli powder and omitted the corn/peas. I didn't put in any parsley or chives, but that would be a nice addition.
3 - Pretty darned tasty! It's quite a brothy soup. I think chipotle peppers is better than pasilla for the smokiness, but it does make for quite a spicy soup. Hmmm... I wonder what it would be like with a dollop of sour cream? And I forgot that in the second iteration I'd added cumin and chilli powder.

2 Tbsps. grapeseed oil
1 lb. stewing or braising beef, trimmed of surface fat and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 onion, chopped
1 dried chipotle pepper (or 2 dried pasilla chillies - whatever substitution here, consider the Scoville Heat Units (SHU))
1 cup boiling water
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp cumin
5 cups beef or other stock
2 parsnips or carrots, peeled and diced
1/2 celeriac peeled and diced
1 cup peeled and diced butternut squash
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup corn kernels
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Chopped fresh parsley leaves or chives, for garnish
  1. Boil some water and pour it over the dried chilli; leave to soak for 10 minutes. Save the water, and remove the chilli. Using a sharp knife, scrape out the seeds and remove the stems before chopping them up.
  2. Put the oil in a large, deep pot over medium-high heat. When it's hot, add the beef and cook until deeply browned on all sides. 
  3. Add the onion and cook until it's translucent, then add the garlic and chillies along with cumin and chilli powder and cook 1 or 2 minutes more.
  4. Add the chilli water and stock and bring to a near boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 30 minutes. 
  5. Then, add the parsnips, celeriac, butternut squash, herbs, and bay leaf, and stir. Cook until the meat and vegetables are tender, another 30 to 40 minutes.
  6. Remove the herb sprigs and bay leafand stir in the peas. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, taste, and adjust the seasoning. Garnish with the parsley or chives and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment