There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, January 9, 2015

Testing - Swiss Chard Tart

I've developed a little obsession with finding the perfect savory pie to eat cold, at a picnic. There are quiche recipes in particular that are supposed to be good at room temperature. The first I tried is Laura Calder's Savoury Swiss Chard Tart.
NOTES: what I discovered is that, depending on the temperature, the flavours change. When hot, the bacon flavour was very strong. When it had cooled to room temperature, the play of salty bacon and sweet raisins was more pronounced. Cold out of the refrigerator, the flavours were more muted and the texture became more prevalent.
EXPERIMENTATION: Ben doesn't like the look of this pie. He says it looks like vomit, but likes the taste. I want to try:
1. keeping the pine nuts separate and adding them as a top layer as the last thing before putting in the over - it'll create a pebbled surface with bits of green peeping out instead of a cooked egg and green leaf mish-mash.
2. serving with roasted red peppers preserved in olive oil - a confit I guess. While talking with Ben, I decided to try making roasted red pepper confit using a mild hot pepper like Poblano. Now I need to find a recipe!

I'd like to compare this recipe with Laura's https://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipe/savoury-swiss-chard-tart/

1 deep pie crust, pre-baked in a 9-inch/22-cm spring-form pan, completely cooled
1 tablespoon oil
2 shallots, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
4 ounces bacon, cut into lardons
1 1/2 pounds Swiss chard
3 eggs
1 cup crème fraîche or heavy cream and sour cream combined
1 pinch Salt and pepper
4 ounces gruyère cheese, grated
handful raisins
handful toasted pine nuts
  1. Heat the oven to 375°F/190°C. Heat the oil in a sauté pan and fry the shallots until soft and translucent. Add the garlic one minute. Remove to a plate. In the same pan, fry the bacon, and remove with the shallots. Divide the chard leaves from the ribs: chop the ribs quite small and shred the leaves. First, fry the ribs in the bacon fat until tender. (You may want to cover the pan for a few minutes to speed up the process.) Add the chard leaves to the pan, cover, and wilt, about 3 minutes.
  2. Beat the eggs together with the crème fraîche. Season with salt and pepper. In a large bowl, toss the shallots, bacon, chard stems and leaves, cheese, raisins and pine nuts, to combine evenly. Taste, and season. Fill the tart shell with the vegetable mixture, and pour over the cream mixture. Bake until the tart has set, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool. Serve at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment