There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, January 19, 2015

Untested - Steaks a la Romanian Rub

2 steaks (sirloin strip, rib-eye, or other cut), 8 oz each and about 1 inch thick, preferably at room temperature
3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1/2 tsp coarse salt
1 lemon, juice from
??? tsp cracked pepper
??? tsps butter, melted
  1. Heat the oven to 500°F and set a rack in the lowest possible position. 
  2. Combine the garlic cloves, salt, cracked pepper (original phrase = Cover the steaks in cracked black pepper then rub paste all over them) and lemon juice in a small bowl and mash together with the back of a spoon until in becomes a rough paste.
  3. Brush the steaks with melted butter before cooking and once or twice while they cook.
  4. Preheat a cast-iron or other sturdy, ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes until it's almost smoking.
  5. Be quick to keep the skillet hot! Put in the steaks and immediately transfer the skillet to the oven.
  6. About 6 to 8 minutes in the oven will bring the steaks to medium rare, depending on their thickness. Check for doneness; if necessary, make a small cut and look. Remove, sprinkle with more salt and pepper to taste, and serve.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment