There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Testing - Perfect imperfection - Chocolate Banana Bread Pudding

This is a recipe I have not yet perfected to my liking, but it's well on its way. I Frankensteined a few bread pudding recipes, and the result was good, but there wasn't quite enough custard, and I didn't put in any bananas 'cause I didn't have any ripe ones. Everything else seemed about right, although I'm counting on my husband's familiarity with this type of food 'cause it isn't something I've eaten much of.



2 tbsp butter; melted and cooled
4 eggs; lightly beaten
1 c brown sugar
1 1/2 heavy cream
1 c milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 ripe banana, mashed
Day-old French "Buche" or Baguette bread
3-4 oz chocolate (70%), grated
Sweetened whipped cream for serving
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush a baking pan (8x8) with 1 tablespoon of butter. Slice the bread so that when arranging it on ends in the baking pan, it reaches a 1/4 inch below the edge. Wedge in the bread to cram the pan.
  2. In a large bowl whisk together eggs, brown sugar, cream and milk. Stir in vanilla, cinnamon, bananas, and chocolate, blending thoroughly. Stir in remaining tablespoon butter and pour slowly into baking dish, giving the custard time to soak into the bread and let sit at least 15 minutes.
  3. Put in oven and bake until just firm, about 45 minutes. Cool pudding in pan on a baking rack until just warm, then serve.
  4. To serve, scoop out of pan slices of bread and top with a dollop of whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment