There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, January 30, 2015

Potato Drum (Timbale or Timpano) - Testing

http://www.grouprecipes.com/1038/tater-timbale.html
  1. I made this for Isabelle's b-day dinner. I have mixed feelings about it. I have no idea what size of ramekins to use. There were loads of potato left over, lots of left over apple... left over everything, except maybe for the custard, but then I think I overfilled the ramekins because lots of the custard spilled out and burned onto the cookie sheet they were baking on.
  2. In completely rethinking this recipe, I really dislike the idea of the individual ramekins. I'm thinking of the gorgeous timbale in Big Night and so I'm changing the instructions to bake it in a springform pan. In executing the recipe, the amount of ingredients is perfect! It did not cook through though as everything was a little underdone. The question is whether the problem is the amount of time or the temperature. 
  3. Well, I'm not getting the results I want but because of no fault of the recipe. I forgot to put in a third of the onion, I only remembered the cheese once I'd already built half the dish up, and the springform pan leaked most of the custard. The only innovation that I'll be able to assess is the melted butter I brushed on top - will it help the potato to brown? Oh, and I increased the temperature to 375F. BUT I have another idea. In Big Night the Timpano is made in a pot that needs to be turned over, sort of like a tarte tatin. And I've seen some timpano recipes where a bundt cake mold is used. Ergo, I shall try the same. And it'll help bake the middle more evenly since, well, there is no middle. ALSO I wonder about adding some ground fennel instead of fennel bulb for flavor.
1lb 4oz 2lbs 8oz potatoes, sliced very thin
1lb 4oz sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced thin  
1 large fennel, sliced thin (or celery with fennel seeds?)
1 Fuji apple, peeled and cored, sliced thin  
2 Tbsps olive oil
1 large 2 medium onions (16oz) sliced 
2 cloves garlic, minced  
Chèvre goat cheese 89 g 
Sharp cheddar 89 g 
2 eggs 
⅓ cup  milk 
⅓ cup heavy cream 
A dash of nutmeg 
1 tsp salt 
Pepper 
butter to brush on top
  1. Butter the springform pan and line the bottom with a round of parchment paper.
  2. Butter a plain bundt pan. Maybe cut out a parchment paper ring for the bottom?
  3. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
  4. Bring two a pot of salted water to boil, one for the potatoes and one for the fennel.
  5. The potato and sweet potato cook together for 5 to 7 minutes.
  6. The fennel boils for 7 minutes.
  7. Cook the onion in olive oil with the garlic, until soft (about 10 minutes).
  8. In a bowl, beat together the eggs and milk, and season with salt and pepper. Add the nutmeg.
  9. Line slices of potatoes around the edge of the springform pan and place a few some at the bottom. Keep them tight.
  10. Continue with a layer of onions and a layer of fennel and apple slices and cheese.
  11. Continue layering until you run out of room, finishing with a layer of potato.
  12. Melt a little butter in a pan and brush the top to help the potatoes become golden.
  13. Pour in the egg batter, making sure that it goes down all the way to the bottom.
  14. Cook in the oven for 45 to 50 minutes. Check whether the top potatoes are cooked and wait a few minutes when taking out before un-molding on a plate by turning the bundt pan over.

No comments:

Post a Comment