There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Untested - Apricot Tart 1

http://www.marthastewart.com/313795/everyday-apricot-tart?backto=true&backtourl=/photogallery/apricot-recipes#slide_8

I suspect I can use my recipe for Pastry Cream instead of this cornstarch thing. Or would flour or arrowroot powder have the same effect?

Cookie Pie Crust, completely cooled
1/3 cup cornstarch 
5 large egg yolks 
2 cups whole milk 
1/3 cup honey 
5 apricots (about 3/4 pound), pitted and sliced 
2 tablespoons apricot jam
  1. Preheat oven to 400F and blind bake the crust. Allow it to cool completely before using to allow the crust to set.
  2. Make filling: Place a fine-mesh sieve over a medium bowl. In a medium saucepan, off heat, whisk together cornstarch and egg yolks. Whisk in milk and honey until cornstarch is dissolved. Whisking constantly, cook over medium until the first large bubble sputters. Reduce heat to low; cook, whisking, 1 minute. Remove from heat; immediately pour through sieve into bowl. Press plastic wrap on surface of pudding; refrigerate 3 hours (or up to 3 days).
  3. Whisk chilled pudding until smooth; spread in cooled tart shell, and top with apricots. In a small saucepan, heat jam over medium-low until liquefied; gently brush apricots with jam. Refrigerate tart in pan 1 hour (or up to 3 hours); unmold just before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment