There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, January 16, 2015

Test 1 - Rice Pilaf Recipe


1 - Very simple.

2 cups white rice 
2 tsps. vegetable oil
1/2 of an onion, fine chop or 1/2 cup chopped scallions
1 stalk celery, chopped
4 cups of stock 
Up to 2 tsps salt (or to taste)
1/4 tsps. pepper
1/8 tsps. cayenne
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)

  1. Heat oil in a skillet. Add the grain and vegetables.  Cook until the grain turns blond or is popping and the onions soften, stirring to prevent burning.
  2. Add the salt, pepper and cayenne and stir to mix. Add the broth.
  3. Reduce to a simmer, then cover and cook for 15-25. Remove from heat and let sit for an additional 10 minutes, covered. DO NOT UNCOVER AT ANY POINT UNTIL THE TIME HAS ELAPSED!
  4. Loosen up the rice with a fork and stir in the fresh parsley.
OPTIONAL: add garden peas to the cooking onions, or toasted almonds or raisins in with the parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment