There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, January 19, 2015

Lentillette au porc salé - PUBLISHED

http://www.lalentillevertedupuy.com/recette-lentilletto-r13.html

1 - I'm so glad I finally took the time to try this out. It was very good! But it does need tweaking, and I do have questions and things I'd like to try; I put in twice the amount of salt pork requested, which was a good idea. I also used rendered pork fat instead of olive oil, which was good; I'd like to reduce the amount of cheese since I suspect it masked a lot of herb flavour - I'd like to see if it can be muted and help make for of a sauce with more cream. And I x-nayed the sundried tomato. We might have some from our gardens next year, but at the moment it seems extravagant. I served it with crusty bread, which was good, but I also wonder if a side like pickled beets would be nice?
2 - The original recipe name was Lentilletto, but I've changed it so much that I'm renaming it to something I think is more suitable. :)

3 - 4 8 oz (pork belly? bacon?  salt pork ?), 2/3 cut in small cubes, 1/3 cut in matchsticks
2 Tbsps. olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
4 oz red kuri winter squash with skin-on (carrots work too, try other firm and sweet veg, I think it's mainly a consistency difference)
1 + 1/3 cup du Puy lentils
1/2 cup red wine
3 cups chicken broth 2 and 2/3 cups beef or mutton stock
1 bouquet garni (2 sprigs thyme, 2 bay leaves (to try adding sage when I have some))
1/2 bunch 6 stems of flat-leaf parsley, stems separated from leaves (save leaves for garnish plus more for garnish)
5 2 oz grated parmesan
2 Tbsps. 1/4 cup crème fraiche (or heavy cream)
Sundried tomato, finely chopped
Crusty bread, to serve.

  1. Blanch the pork for about 4 minutes to remove some of the saltiness. Pat dry and let cool enough to handle and chop 2/3 into cubes and the rest into matchsticks (to fry up later and use as a garnish; the crunchiness is a lovely variation in texture). 
  2. Cook the cubed pork until browned. Set aside.
  3. Cook  Add the onion and the veg squash in the pork fat just until soft. 
  4. Add the lentils and continue cooking another 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
  5. Add the wine and allow it to evaporate completely.
  6. Likewise, add enough  Add stock just to cover, as well as the bouquet garni, along with the parsley stems. When the liquid evaporates, add another layer of stock, Bring to a boil and then simmer until the lentils are cooked (about 30 minutes), and all the liquid in the pan has evaporated (cook, uncovered, until it is mostly dry, but not so long that the lentils go to mush).
  7. When cooked the lentils should still hold their form and not have become mush!
  8. Remove the bouquet and the parsley stems.
  9. Stir in the parmesan and the cream. Plate the lentils and garnish with finely chopped parsley, the bacon matchsticks, some finely minced sundried tomato and some freshly ground black pepper.
  10. Serve with crusty bread and something fresh or vinegary like pickled beets?

No comments:

Post a Comment