There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, January 19, 2015

Test 2 - Stir-Fried Chicken with Chillies

The first attempt was positive. The soy and white wine tasted a bit like fish sauce, so no complaints about that from the peanut gallery! I added a few leaves of fresh basil at the end in addition to broccoli.
1 - Ben recommended adding some Hoisin sauce to sweeten the dish. Will try, but how much?

2 Tbsps. grapeseed oil
2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
6 garlic cloves minced garlic
1 Tbsp. minced ginger
2 medium onions, sliced
2-3 chopped scallions
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1 stalk chopped broccoli
1 Tbsp soy sauce
2 tsps Hoisin Sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup white wine
3-4 leaves fresh basil, en chiffonade
Salt and pepper to taste
  1. Place a large, deep skillet or wok over high heat. Add half the oil and immediately toss in the jalapeños and half the garlic and ginger. Stir for 15 seconds, and then add the onion, scallions and broccoli and continue stirring for 5 minutes.
  2. Remove the vegetables from the pan and lower the heat to medium. Add the remaining oil, garlic, and ginger to the pan, along with the chicken. Raise the heat to high again and cook until the chicken is no longer pink.
  3. Return the vegetables to the pan and mix in the basil. Season with salt and pepper and then add the liquid, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan until the amount of liquid is reduced. Serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment