There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Untested - Clafoutis aux abricots


I don't know which version I prefer, or if they're just two distinct recipes. This will require some extensive testing. Looking forward to apricot season!
These are my sources:
http://www.food.com/recipe/julia-childs-cherry-clafouti-239454
http://www.chow.com/recipes/29695-cherry-clafoutis-clafouti
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Basic-Clafoutis-51208430
http://www.750g.com/clafoutis-provencal-aux-abricots-et-au-miel-r29982.htm
http://www.750g.com/clafoutis-aux-amandes-et-aux-abricots-rotis-au-miel-r87615.htm
12 apricots, cut in half and pitted
1/2 cup of sugar
2 Tbsps. of flour
1/3 cup ground almond
2 eggs + 1 yolk
1 cup cream or Crème fraîche
2 generous Tbsps. of butter
2 Tbsps. of honey
1 Tbsp. vanilla essence
(version 1) 2 Tbsps pine nuts
(version 2) a few drops of bitter almond essence
  1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
  2. Place the apricots, cut-side-down, on the bottom of a greased baking dish that will take them all in a single layer.
  3. Whisk together the sugar, flour, eggs, honey, vanilla and cream.
  4. Pour this batter over the apricots and bake for 30 minutes.
  5. Sprinkle the top with the pin nuts and shavings of butter and put it under the broiler for a couple of minutes to make it brown.
  6. Eat warm or cooled to room temperature (it isn't as good cold out of the refrigerator).
OR
  1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
  2. Whisk together the sugar, flour, eggs, vanilla, almond essence and cream.
  3. In a greased baking dish, pour 3/4 of this batter and bake until the batter just starts to set, about 7+ minutes.
  4. Remove the dish from the oven and pour the remaining 1/4 of the batter on top, then arrange the apricots (see Other Version for another way to prepare the apricots), cut side up, into the fresh layer of batter. Drizzle the apricots with the honey and return the baking dish to the oven for 20 - 30 minutes, or until completely set but not browned.
  5. Sprinkle the top with shavings of butter and put it under the broiler for a couple of minutes to make it brown.
  6. Eat warm or cooled to room temperature (it isn't as good cold out of the refrigerator).
OR
  1. Other Version = melt the butter in a skillet until it stops frothing, then add the honey to melt. Place the apricots face down then quickly flip over to brown the outside. Do this quickly! Otherwise the apricots will turn to mush either in the pan or later, while baking (not sure which yet)
IDEA: instead of on top, would it be better to sprinkle with sugar just before broiling to try and get it to caramelize?

No comments:

Post a Comment