There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Apples - what kinds to use for which effect

The Cook's Thesaurus is such a wonderful website. I'd always been at a loss to know what kind of apples do what when they're cooked. What apples make the best sauce? Which ones keep their shape when baked, etc. Well I need wonder no longer. Now I know which apples to use no matter what the recipe. The following is the entry, but following this bit is a detailed explanation of all sorts of kinds of apples and how to use them, by specific type.


Equivalents    Three medium apples weigh about one pound.  One medium apple yields about one cup of slices.   
Substitutes for apples  
  • Asian pear OR 
  • pear OR 
  • quince (A good choice for baking.  It's pleasantly tart, and the fruit holds its shape very well.) OR 
  • chayote squash (This makes a terrific "apple" pie.)  
Varieties     Softer apples are best for applesauce, while firmer apples are best for baking and making pies.  You can increase the sweetness or acidity of the product by adding sugar or a few drops of lemon juice to the recipe.
Best for eating out of hand:   Gala, Fuji, Mutsu, Jonathan, Cameo, Golden Delicious, Cortland, Empire, Red Delicious, McIntosh, Braeburn, Winesap, Pink Lady, Sundowner
Best for pies:  Northern Spy, Golden Delicious, Rhode Island Greening, Pippin, Granny Smith, Pink Lady, Gravenstein, Boskoop
Best for applesauce:   Pippin, Rhode Island Greening, McIntosh, Elstar, Cortland, Fuji, Gala, Gravenstein
Best for baking:   Rome, Jonagold, Granny Smith, Pippin, Gala, Braeburn, Northern Spy, Gravenstein, Rhode Island Greening, York Imperial, Cortland, Winesap
Best for making salads:  Cortland, Golden Delicious, Empire, Gala, Red Delicious, Fuji, Winesap, Criterion, Pink Lady

No comments:

Post a Comment