There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Untested - Pot-au-feu aux légumes anciens - Pot Roast with Rustic Vegetables

http://allrecipes.fr/recette/13578/pot-au-feu-aux-l-gumes-anciens.aspx?o_is=LV

Part 1
2 Tbsps. grape seed oil
2 lbs. of beef (presumably chuck?), de-boned (see below)
2 clove buds
1 onion, whole
1 tsp. coriander seeds
1 carrots (see next part)
1 small turnip (see next part)
1 stalk of celery
1 sage leaf
Part 2
6 rutabagas
5 carottes
5 small turnips 
3 parsnips
Salt and pepper
A few marrow bones 
Part 3
2 leeks, white parts only, whole
10 oz. Jerusalem artichokes, cleaned and peeled
  1. Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium-high heat until the oil is shimmering but not smoking. Brown the roast thoroughly on all sides, reducing the heat if the fat begins to smoke. This should take from 8 to 10 minutes.
  2. Cover with cold water and bring to a simmer. Skim any scum off the top until the broth is clear.
  3. Push the clove buds into the peeled onion and add to the pot along with the rest of the ingredients in Part 1. Simmer for 2 hours
  4. Add all the ingredients listed in Part 2 and cook for 1 hour.
  5. Add the ingredients in Part 3 and simmer for another hour and a half, or until the internal temperature reaches 130-140F (internal temperature will rise another 5-10 degrees while resting).

No comments:

Post a Comment