There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Butternut squash gratinée - Test 1

http://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/2012/10/roasted-butternut-squash-gratin/
 
Butternut squash is delicious, and yet I find it challenging to cook with in anything other than squash soup. The flavour and the sweetness are so strong, they tend to overpower anything else. This, however, is an interesting recipe. The flavours complement each other nicely. There are a few things I'd like to tweak, like roasting the squash more, or until it starts to brown and dries out a bit; I left it in for the recommended amount of time and it was well cooked, but still quite moist, making the resulting gratin a bit damp.
 
2½ lbs. peeled and cubed butternut squash
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, pressed
⅓ cup finely chopped walnuts
2 Tbsps. (1oz/28gr) butter
1½ Tbsps. flour
½ tsp. salt (or more to taste)
¼ tsp. black pepper
1¼ cups milk
2 oz shredded Gruyère (about ¾ cup, tightly packed)
Pinch of nutmeg 
  1. Place the oven grill to the center position and preheat the oven to 425°F.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, toss the butternut squash cubes with the olive oil and garlic till the squash is evenly coated with the oil.
  3. Spread the squash out on a baking sheet in an even layer and sprinkle lightly with salt.
  4. Roast for about 35 minutes, turning once during cooking, until the squash is tender but not overly soft.
  5. Meanwhile, toast the walnuts in a skillet until they're fragrant but not browned. This is important because walnuts are very fragile to heat, so once fragrant and not browned, remove them immediately to a plate to avoid scorching or burning.
  6. Once the squash is perfectly tender, in a medium saucepan, melt the butter.
  7. Whisk in the flour, salt, and pepper and whisk until the flour starts to turn golden
  8. Whisk in the milk, adding about a quarter cup at a time. 
  9. Cook over gentle heat until it thickens and starts to bubble around the edges. Don't let it boil.
  10. Remove from the heat source and stir in the Gruyère cheese and a pinch of nutmeg. 
  11. When the squash is done roasting, turn the temperature down to 375°F. 
  12. In an 8x8" baking dish dump the squash cubes to form an even layer.
  13. Sprinkle the toasted walnuts across the top.
  14. Pour the Gruyère sauce evenly as the final topping.
  15. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the edges begin to brown and the cheese sauce is bubbly.
  16. For the final step turn on your broiler and let it brown under the broiler for 1-2 minutes, watching it carefully, till the top is browned to your liking.
  17. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment