There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, January 19, 2015

Test 2 - Tortilla Soup

The first attempt was very well received. Ben, the Mexican food expert, said it had all the right flavours. I think I would like to add a little more spice since the Poblanos are so mild. I followed the recipe to a "T".

2 Poblano chillies, fresh (try Pasilla when you can)
1 1/2 pounds fresh tomatoes, cut in half
2 Tbsps. grapeseed oil
3 cloves garlic, sliced
1 large onion, sliced
Salt and ground pepper, to taste
Pinch of dried oregano
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
1 1/2 cups tortilla chips, plus more for garnish
2 limes (one juiced, one sliced)
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
  1. Under the broiler, char first one side and then the other of the chillies and tomatoes, arranged on a baking sheet. 
  2. Pop the chillies in a plastic bag. When they are cool, skin, stem, seed, and finely chop them and the roasted tomatoes, saving any of the juices.
  3. Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and chilies, and season with salt, pepper, and oregano. Add the stock and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
  4. Stir in the chicken and tortilla chips and simmer another 3 to 5 minutes. Season to taste with lime juice, salt, and pepper. Float the avocado on top and serve with lime wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment