There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Testing - Bread and Tomato Soup (Pappa al pomodoro)

1 - I cannot for the life of me remember where this recipe came from. Is it a Frankenstein? At any rate, this was the first time I've actually made it. While I quite enjoyed the flavours, there is much work to be done to improve the results. The tomatoes didn't char properly; the onions were undercooked; the bread didn't fall apart easily and over toasted. I think the proportions are correct, however.

2 lbs fresh tomatoes
    OR, 1 large tin diced tomatoes + 1 lb tomatoes
1 onion, cut into 8ths for roasting
Optional (and to try) 1/2 cup sage leaves (how many leaves is that?)
1/3 cup Olive oil
8 oz - 1lb (preferably) stale peasant-style bread (would a Miracle Boule do?) cut into 1" cubes, crusts removed.
3-5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
10-15 large basil leaves, sliced en chiffonade
1 - 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
4-8 cups chicken broth (start with 4 to test consistency. Also, if using tinned tomatoes, drain the can and include the juices in the initial 4 cups)
1 tsp salt
? Tsp pepper
High quality olive oil for drizzling flavour
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 400F.
  2. Cut the tomatoes so that they are more-or-less the same size: whole for cherry, halves and quarters for larger tomatoes. Arrange on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil (add the sage leaves if using) and toss lightly to cover everything in the oil.
  3. Roast the tomato and onion mixture in the oven for 30-45 minutes, turning the mixture over every 15 minutes, or until the tomatoes start show brown spots and the onions are soft. Take out of the oven and place on a cooling rack, leaving for about 10-15 minutes, or until the tomatoes won't burn your fingers. 
  4. While the tomatoes are cooling, heat the remaining olive oil in a large soup pot until quite hot, then add the garlic, bread basil leaves. Toast these in the oil until the bread is golden; stir constantly to avoid burning the garlic and basil. When the bread is golden, set aside. 
  5. When the tomatoes are cooled, remove the skins.
  6. Save any juices on the baking sheet and add to the soup pot. So much flavour! 
  7. Chop all the roasted vegetables quite fine then add them and the balsamic vinegar to the bread and garlic. Return the soup pot to the stove to bring to a simmer. Mix for a few minutes, then add the broth, the salt and the pepper. 
  8. Continue to mix, breaking up the bread with the back of a wooden spoon. The consistency should be like a porridge; not too liquid but not too thick – just about possible to eat with a fork. If it's too thick, add a bit more broth. Remove the pan from the heat and let it sit for about 10 minutes before serving.
  9. You can serve this hot, at room temperature or chilled. Serve with plenty of freshly ground black pepper and raw extra virgin olive oil to swirl on top, and maybe some grated parmigiano.

No comments:

Post a Comment