There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, May 4, 2024

Tartiflette de pommes de terre au fromage - Test 1

https://www.marieclaire.fr/cuisine/tourte-de-pommes-de-terre-au-fromage,653411.asp
https://www.cuisineactuelle.fr/recettes/tartiflette-au-comte-199777
Video in the article, useful

1 - Delicious. I'm translating and marking the changes I made. I only made one recipe of pie dough and divided it in two, and that seems to be ok, probably due to the combination of textures. I wonder, though, if I made the pastry a bit thicker, so I'm increasing the recipe for the dough. ALSO the challenge was getting everything to fit! It will remain at the Testing stage because of the pie dough variation.
2 - Freaking awesome. I reduced the amount of potato to 750g and with a little bit of pressing down, it made for a lovely dome on the pie. Also, after rolling out the top sheet of dough, I reformed and rolled out a strip of the excess dough and glued it to the rim of the pie with water. Amazing!

150 g bacon cut into lardons 
3 large onions (30oz/855gr), sliced thin
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
750g to 1 kg (1.8 to 2lbs) potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
40 g melted butter
Pie dough divided in 2 : 1¼ cups (6.5oz/185g) flour, ¼ teaspoon salt, 5oz/143g butter, 4 Tbsps water
250 g Gruyere, sliced thin or grated.
1 egg, whisked
Salt and pepper
  1. Render the lardon in a hot dry pan until golden brown and the fat rendered. Remove the lardons and set aside.
  2. Turn down the heat and slowly brown the onion in the fat. When golden, add the garlic and cook for another couple of minutes. Set aside.
  3. (Ah, what I did not do was douse the sliced potato in the melted butter. I don't think this is needed.) 
  4. Preheat the oven to 410°F.
  5. With the first ball of dough (approx. 240g), roll it out to cover a pie dish. Store in the refrigerator.
  6. Spread half the potato in an overlapping pattern. 
  7. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  8. Layer all of the cooked onion on top, followed by lardons, and then the cheese.
  9. The remaining potatoes go on top in the same overlapping pattern (it'll show through the pastry and be very pretty). Sprinkle over with more salt and pepper.
  10. Wet the edges of the pie shell and drape the remaining pie dough on top, and pinch the edges securely.
  11. Brush the top of the pie with the beaten egg and make whatever design you want on top for the vents.
  12. Bake in two stages, the first for 30 minutes. If it's brown enough, cover with aluminum paper and bake another 20 to 30 minutes. If it's not brown enough, leave uncovered and check after 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment