There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Cabbage Braised in Milk - Test 1

From Ben's fragment of a Pennsylvania Dutch cookery book, pg 17 (Original title "Seven-Minute Cabbage"

1 - I botched the recipe because it looked just plain weird to me; I tried changjng the order of ingredients to :  butter, cabbage, flour, milk, salt. It turned into a weird ugly separated chunky mess that nonetheless tasted nice. Next time I'll actually follow the recipe.
2 - Success! Following the recipe, it worked quite nicely. I wonder about using cream and omitting the flour. I have, somewhere, a recipe where it's just the cream that is simmered to thicken. Also, what about adding some spices, like carraway?
At it with boiled ham and it was a very good flavour combination.

2 cups milk
2 tsps flour
salt and pepper
1 Tbsp butter
2 cups or 8oz chopped cabbage

  1. Heat the milk to just before boiling.
  2. Add butter and the cabbage.
  3. Cook seven minutes.
  4. Thicken with the flour, mixed with a little cold water.
  5. Season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment