There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Boiled ham, a long process! - PUBLISHED

https://www.10-trucs.com/cuisine/faire-cuire-un-jambon.html
http://www.donalskehan.com/recipes/honey-mustard-glazed-ham/
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/maple-honey-mustard-glazed-ham/ccb580ae-856d-43fe-8222-9fba1d796682
http://www.tarzile.com/archives/2010/04/lart_de_faire_c_1.htm
Food in England by Dorothy Hartley, pg. 334-5

1 - I've baked my first ham! How exciting! And it was good! I have a few things I discovered about how to do it, which I've included in the recipe.
2 - A good, solid recipe. I've added bits at the end for suggestions on how to use the ham, and also how to use the leftover stuff that's usually thrown away.
3 - This continues to be a good general recipe. There are just a few little adjustments needed in the instructions.

1 smoked or preserved ham, no matter the weight, preferably bone-in (picnic/shoulder hams are more flavorful)
1 large whole onion, skin and all, rough chop
2 carrots, rough chop
2 branches celery, rough chop
2-4 bay leaves
Small handful of whole peppercorns, about 1 Tbsp

NOTE: For best results, cook separately from a meal - the ham should cool in its own cooking water before use. HOWEVER, it can be used as soon as cooked and still hot as a meal. 
NOTE: Put to soak the night before cooking.
  1. Weigh the ham and calculate the cooking time (before the soak) at 15 minutes per lb.
  2. Good hams are preserved with salt, which makes them super salty unless you soak them and boil the salts out of them.
  3. Soak the ham in plenty of cold water (therefore in a large pot) for a minimum of 6 hours, but preferably overnight. 
  4. Drain the water, and replace with fresh cold water. Put the pot on your heat source but note, the water should not boil for any extended period - boiling will make the ham tough! Bring the water to a gentle simmer, and cook like this for about an hour for the first boil, regardless of the size of your ham. If you have a small ham, the timing for your second boil will depend on the internal temperature of the ham, outlined in step 6. While boiling, there will be scum that forms on the surface and, while many remove it (I did), I'm not sure why. When I find out, I'll add the info here.
  5. Meanwhile, get the vegetables ready.
  6. After the hour is up, drain the water, refill with cold water again, throw in the vegetables and spices, and set it to very gently simmer (again being careful not to let the water boil). From the calculations you made in Step 1, subtract the hour it has already simmered, and start the count-down. For the ham to be completely cooked, the internal temperature should read 155-160F.
  7. Once your ham is cooked, SAVE THE COOKING WATER to make soup! Leave the cooking water to cool completely and scoop off the congealed fat to use in flavoring dishes that usually use bacon for flavoring like quiches or soups
  8. If not to eat right away, leave the ham in its cooking water to cool down completely. The flavorful cooking water will hydrate the ham to make it more succulent. The cold ham can be used to make baked ham, or its leftovers used in other dishes.
  9. Good served with: Cabbage Braised in Milk 

No comments:

Post a Comment