There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, May 17, 2020

Dombré - Test 2

1 - What are these French Caribean pasta/dumpling bites like? Can I make them work in my recipes? I have halved a recipe I found for them in another recipe for pig tail stew.
Now that I've eaten it, and that Ben commented on how they seemed undercooked, I realized I did little recipe comparison. When I went back to look, I saw that some recommend cooking the balls separately is salted water for 45 minutes, while others recommend adding them to the soup/stew and simmering for 1 hour.
2 - It worked fine once cooked for an hour in the stew I made. That was the missing bit. It takes a while to make them, but I was talking to my mom and kept my hands busy making the little balls.
3 - Work like a charm! The trick is to just take small pinches of the stuff - the balls swell as they cook so big pinches means it takes longer to cook and the large balls aren't as elegant.

1 3/4 cups of flour
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsps of oil
  1. In a large bowl, place the flour and create a well in the middle.
  2. Hold back a couple of Tbsps of water, but add the rest along with the oil and salt.
  3. Work with your hands to create a ball that isn't tacky; if it's too dry, add the remaining water and, if it ends up being too tacky, add flour to achieve the correct texture.
  4. Sprinkle some flour in a plate. Roll the dough into small balls by taking small pinches of the stuff to roll and pop onto the plate (the flour prevents the balls from sticking to each other or the plate. Set aside until it's time to add them to the stew.
  5. The dombré need about an hour of simmering to cook through, so adjust the recipe you're using them in to reflect that - if all the other ingredients require less time to cook, boil the dombré first.

No comments:

Post a Comment