There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Sourdough Pancakes - Testing

I adapted the Panekoeken recipe for sourdough, which made nice flapjacks with a satisfying chew. But then I didn't write anything down. So I'm starting again.

1 - This worked pretty well, but I only had 2 eggs, therefore I can't consider this a first attempt. With the missing egg, the mixture was too liquid and the edges thinned out to the point where it would damage the pancake when I tried to lift it. But it sure did bubble!

1 1/2 cup sourdough starter
1 1/2 cup white flour
1 cup milk

THEN
1 1/2 cups sourdough and milk mixture
2 tsps. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
A splash of vanilla (1 tsp. - 1 Tbsp., to taste)
1 Tbsp oil
Butter for frying.

  1. The day before cooking, mix together the sourdough starter, flour and 1 cup of milk. Cover with a tea towel and leave in a warm place for about 24 hours.
  2. THE NEXT DAY.
  3. Take 1 1/2 cups of the sourdough and milk mixture and store the rest in the refrigerator for another time. Keeps for about a week.
  4. Add sugar and baking soda, mixing these in.
  5. Add the eggs and whisk thoroughly before adding the milk, vanilla and oil.
  6. Measure out 1/3 cup portions to fry in butter in a pan until browned on both sides. 

No comments:

Post a Comment