There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Blueberry muffins - Testing

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/blueberry-sourdough-muffins-recipe

1 - I used some of the leftover from trying to start a sourdough starter and unlike the pancakes, this was not a success. The cornmeal, also, may have been too coarse. Anyway, the muffins are heavy and gritty. Is there anything else to do with this? Maybe buckwheat instead of cornmeal? Maybe let the dough stand as I do for the pancakes? Maybe just adapt it to a regular baking powder recipe?

1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsps cinnamon
1 cup sourdough starter, ripe (fed) or discard
1/4 cup milk
1 large egg
4 Tbsps melted butter or 1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup, maple syrup, molasses or honey
2 cups blueberries
OPTIONAL : Coarse sugar, for sprinkling tops

  1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Grease enough cups for 12 muffins.
  2. Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
  3. In a second bowl, beat together the starter, milk, egg, melted butter, and sweetener. 
  4. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry until the batter is uniform. 
  5. Gently stir in the blueberries just until well distributed.
  6. Fill the oiled cups 2/3 full; sprinkle optional coarse sugar on top.
  7. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the muffins from the oven and allow the muffins to cool for 5 minutes before removing them from their cups. 
NOTE: Don't let them cool in their cups, or they'll steam and the outside will become tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment