There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Sourdough Crackers - Untested

https://zerowastechef.com/2015/11/18/sourdough-crackers-2-0/

2/3 cup unfed starter from the refrigerator
3 heaping Tbsps olive oil
3/4 cup whole wheat flour (or just plain white?)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
extra coarse salt for topping


  1. Combine starter and oil in a non-metallic bowl.
  2. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, salt and baking soda.
  3. Add dry to wet ingredients and combine. If necessary, knead the dough a few times to incorporate the last bit of flour.
  4. Cover the bowl and let rest for six hours at room temperature. (see NOTE)
  5. When you’re ready to bake, divide the dough into two halves on a generously floured surface.
  6. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
  7. Roll the dough out to about two millimeters thick. If necessary, sprinkle with flour between rollings to prevent the dough from sticking to your work surface.
  8. Transfer the dough to an ungreased cookie sheets.
  9. Cut into rectangles with a pizza cutter or a knife. Sprinkle with salt.
  10. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes, turn the tray to help even browning and bake 6 to 8 minutes more.
  11. The crackers are done when they're crispy and slightly browned.
  12. Transfer the crackers to a cooling rack. Store in a glass jar once completely cooled.


NOTE: You can save the dough the fridge for about a week and bake only as much as you want at-a-time. Let it warm at room temperature for 15 minutes to half an hour to making rolling easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment