There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Bean and Leftover Ham Soup - Test 3

https://wonkywonderful.com/ham-and-bean-soup-recipe

1 - with just a little tweaking this made a very serviceable peasant soup that used up the rest of our baked ham. One could add condiments like cheese or hot sauce, but really just per personal preference. Otherwise, it's perfectly good as it is.
2 - This second time, both Ben and I found this soup to be better than just fine but quite good. It was very satisfying. I may be the I upped the flavour by giving a generous pinch of each herb and also using the fat skimmed from boiling a ham to fry the veg in.
3 - This is a very good recipe - being generous with the herbs is essential to carry it off.

1 lb dry soup beans (used Mexican Red Beans)
3 Tbsps oil (leftover fat from the skimming when boiling a ham is choice)
1 onion, chopped
4 carrots, chopped
5 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
6-8 cups chicken stock
OPTIONAL: ham bone
14.5 oz diced tomatoes
1 bay leaf
1 tsp Italian spice mix
A generous pinch each of dry oregano, basil, thyme and hot pepper flakes
Black pepper, to taste
2 cups shredded cabbage or kale
2-3 cups (350-400gr) diced cooked ham
Salt, to taste
  1. Soak beans overnight then rinse.
  2. In a large soup pot sauté the onion and carrots in the oil for 4-5 minutes or until the onion starts to soften. Add the garlic and sauté one more minute.
  3. Add the beans, the chicken stock, the ham bone, the tomatoes, bay leaf, herbs and pepper. NOTE: if using kale, add at this point.
  4. Bring to a boil then reduce and simmer, covered lightly, for 90 minutes or until the beans are soft.
  5. Add the ham and cabbage (if using) and cook for 15-20 minutes more. Adjust the seasoning. Discard the bay leaf and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment