There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, April 6, 2020

Split pea and greens bharta - PUBLISHED

https://rouxbe.com/recipes/5441-split-pea-spinach-bharta

It's challenging finding other recipes using split peas - I just get hits for pea soup (which is delicious but come on). So I looked to the far East for inspiration. Will be trying this with Staffordshire Oatcakes, just for kicks! :)

1 - Ok, this was a smashing success! Both the oatcakes and the bharta, and the oatcakes-and-bharta combination. We used the oat cakes like injera bread. There was pea cooking water left over, and the greens (which was arugula) were impossible to blenderize because the mix was too dry, so next time I will reserve some of the pea cooking water to moisten the veg mix.
2 - I find that there is very little cooking liquid left when simmering the peas, and more often than not I have to add water when I put them through the blender. The original instructions are to keep 1 cup of cooking water and drain away any excess. I think the opposite is more accurate - keep all the liquid and add 1/4 cup of water at-a-time to make it run through the blender more easily, as it tends to be too thick to blend properly... although I wonder if it would be different in a food processor? I really should add a note about pressing it through a fine sieve by hand, as well.
3 - I discovered that making the cooked peas wet enough for the blender to make a stiff vortex means that when the veg is cooked it can just be added. The finer chop of the veg actually seems like an improvement, and the peas, which I feared would be too wet to eat with the oatcakes, were just the right texture (previously I felt it was too stiff).
4 - Almost there! I used kale, and it didn't seem to be as tasty but then, upon re-heating it, I added salt, just in case that was the problem, and presto! It was! I need to pay attention next time to see how much more salt would be good to add, and definitely 'taste to adjust the seasoning' should be part of this instructions.

For the Split Peas

1 1/2 cup yellow split peas
3 1/2 cup water (or more, if needed)
  1. Soak the peas for 2 hours if you can.
  2. Bring them to a boil then simmer for 30-50 minutes, until the peas are fully cooked and tender (don't rush this step, the longer and softer the better).
  3. Save 1 cup of the cooking water and drain away any excess.
  4. Season with salt and allow to cool while preparing the veg.
For the Veg Mixture

1 onion, finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeño, finely diced (or a pinch of red pepper flakes)
1 tsp salt, to taste
2 bunches fresh greens (spinach, chard, kale, turnip greens, nettles, etc) (approx. 1 lb), finely chopped.
  1. Dry-sauté the onion until translucent and golden, about 10 minutes.
  2. Add the garlic and cook another 30 seconds, then the hot pepper, greens and salt. Stir to combine and cook until the greens wilt. 
Final Steps

2 tsps dried mint
Water
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp ground sumac OR
  • zest of 1 lime or lemon
  • 2 tsps black pepper
  • a generous pinch of salt
  1. As Once the greens a perfectly cooked, purée the split peas until smooth or, if you'd rather do it by hand, press through a fine sieve with a wooden spoon. It will be quite thick, so if running through the blender add water to help it move in the machine. Ideally it should be able to just make a vortex in the blender - it will look too wet but will stiffen in no time.
  2. Very To the just-blended peas briefly purée the greens, just to get a rough chop, or do it by hand. If using a machine, do it just so that the veg has passed through once - a little chunky is fine. use some of the pea cooking water to get things moving - the veg mix is quite dry.
  3. Combine the peas and greens and then the lime or lemon zest, pepper and mint (or just the sumac if you have some) and mix into the paste.
  4. Adjust the seasoning to your taste. Both peas and adding water absorb the effect of salt on flavor, so it's important to taste and adjust the salt until the flavors pop.
  5. Reheat and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment