There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Cheddar and Beer Fondue - Published

jan 11 2015 - Not very successful this second time. The result was very watery, and no matter the amount of cheese added, it remained watery. I suspect two things that may have been factors - the cheddar was of inferior quality, and; the ratio of beer is incorrect. I've altered the initial quantity of beer from 12 fl oz, to 6 fl oz, with the goal of measuring how much more beer should be added to obtain the correct consistency. The flavour was good.

2 Tbsp butter
1 clove garlic
6 fluid oz beer (hold another 6 fl oz of beer aside to add if too thick, and record how much more is added)
8 oz cheddar
8 oz Gruyere
2 Tbsp flour
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp paprika
pinch cayenne
pinch nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper

  1. Rub the bottom of the cook pot with the garlic. Melt the butter in it, then add the beer and warm it up without bringing it to a boil, over medium heat.
  2. Meanwhile combine the cheeses in a bowl with the flour.
  3. Reduce the heat under the beer to a gentle simmer and add the cheese in handfuls, stirring constantly until all the cheese has gone in and melted
  4. Stir in the spices. Transfer the fondue to a warm fondue pot.
  5. If the sauce is too thick, add beer.If it's too soft, add cheese

Serving Suggestions:
         - with lightly boiled cauliflower (2-3 minutes in salted water)
and/or
         - boiled baby potatoes
and/or
         - boiled German sausage slices like wursts or franks
and/or
         - pickles, pickled onions
and/or
         - cubed bread (a Boule is particularly delicious)

No comments:

Post a Comment