There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, November 14, 2014

Italian sausage pasta - Test 1

1- The sauce for this dish is interesting, but we both felt there was way too much bell peppers. The "original" (because I rarely follow recipes to the letter anymore) asked for a trio of different coloured sweet peppers and next time I will try just one, chopped up instead of julienned. I rarely cook with sweet peppers because generally I feel like they're just used as a filler when more veg are required.
As for the sauce, the white wine added a really interesting glossy and tasty dimension, so that was a win.
2- It looks like there is too much salt, but it really didn't taste like it did, possibly offsetting the sweetness brought about by the wine and peppers. Although, having decreased the amount of peppers, I've decreased by a half tsp the amount of salt.
The instructions were a bit more complicated than necessary. I took a page from my Italian sausage and chard soup recipe and eliminated a step, creating a lovely fond for extra flavour, I think.
3- It was very much appreciated. I now seriously doubt the egg noodles, it gives it a bit of a Hamburger Helper aura. I want to try with just spaghetti, or maybe chunky pasta. Oh, and 12oz was fine!

1 + 3 Tbsps olive oil 
4 1 lb spicy Italian sausage meat links, casings removed
1 large onion (10oz/285g) thinly sliced
1 ½ tsp salt
Sprig of thyme, leafed and minced
2 sprigs of oregano, leafed and minced
1 sprig of rosemary, leafed and minced
(try adding a bay leaf)
½ tsp cracked black pepper
1 red bell pepper, cored and minced
4 cloves of garlic, pressed
½ cup white wine
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
¼ cup fresh basil leaves, julienned, divided use
8 (trying 12oz) ounces wide egg noodles (or papardelle), dry weight
12 oz spaghetti(ni)
  1. Heat a few teaspoons of oil in a pan and crumble the sausage into it. When it starts to sizzle, add the onions and cook until extra moisture from the sausage has evaporated and everything starts to brown. You will already notice the bottom of your pan starting to get coated with a brown fond. Add more oil if you think it needs it.
  2. Add oregano, thyme, rosemary, bay leaf, salt and pepper; stir, then add the minced bell peppers. Sauté for about 2 minutes or until the peppers start to soften.
  3. Add the garlic and cook about a minute. Add the wine and stir to lift the fond, which should be dark brown-to-black by now. Keep cooking until the wine reduces to almost nothing. Add the diced tomatoes with their juices.
  4. Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the tomatoes cook, then turn off the heat; to finish the sauce, drizzle in about 2-3 good tablespoons of olive oil and stir. Add the chopped parsley and half of the basil; stir, and keep warm while you prepare the noodles.
  5. To serve, garnish with some of the remaining basil and some Parmesan, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment