There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, September 25, 2015

Testing - Beet soup

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/beet_soup.php

I made this for a group of 12 young people (20-30 age group) and they loved it. I'll have to make it again for a, perhaps, more experienced and discerning group to get the feedback I need to develop a recipe. I used cumin, added a 1/2 cup of milk , and served it with a dollop of sour cream.
1 - Mixed reactions - E. felt it needed to be thicker; B. thought it was too 'earthy'. I thought is was just right, but wondered if I'd forgotten to add the cumin because I couldn't taste it. I did not add all the stock. The total liquid I added was 6 cups instead of the recommended 12. On second thought, I think there has been a typo in the original and it should be only 4 cups of one of 3 possible types of stock. I shall make a selection and change my version. So there!

2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 onions chopped
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 potato
4 cups (1lb?) chopped beets
4 cups beef, chicken, or vegetable stock
4 cups chicken stock
4 cups vegetable stock
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons curry paste
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons cumin
Sour Cream

  1. In saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, potato and cumin. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until onions are softened.
  2. Add beets and stock; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
  3. Puree soup until smooth. If desired, thin with more water, stock or milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste.



No comments:

Post a Comment