There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Pear Cake - Published

We made pear juice to make cocktails with some really lovely whiskey. What was left in the juicer was this wonderful frothy slurry which I strained to get more juice out of, then saved the rest to try to make a cake with it! This highlights the pear slurry, which may not work. I may have to revisit the idea and make an applesauce cake instead. But if this doesn't work with the slurry, I'm hoping it'll work with crushed pears instead.
I Frankensteined my Tarte aux pommes de grand-mère recipe for this experiment.
Test 1 - It worked like a charm! The ring of pear slurry allows for the middle to just be cake, and acts as an anchor when cutting the cake and serving. And the flavour with the whiskey was ideal. Now to reproduce!

2 eggs
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup grape seed oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup flour
2 tsps. baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups crushed pears
3 Tbsps whiskey
Part 2: The Topping
3 oz of butter (about 1/3 cup)
1/4 cup icing sugar
1 egg
  1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
  2. Lightly butter a spring form pan.
  3. Thoroughly beat the egg separately, and add the milk, oil, vanilla and rum. Set aside.
  4. In another bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. 
  5. NOTE: Work the batter as little as possible.
  6. Create a well in the centre and add the beaten egg, milk, oil and vanilla, folding gently until the batter is uniform.
  7. Mix together the whiskey and crushed pears.
  8. Pour half of the batter into the pan. Pour the crushed pears as a ribbon in the middle, to make a ring. Pour the remains of the batter over this, and put in the oven for 15 minutes.
  9. While this is baking melt the butter and whisk in the sugar, then set aside to allow it to cool.
  10. Just before the timer rings, add the egg and whisk until it all uniform.
  11. Pour the butter, sugar and egg mixture on top of the cake and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until the top is uniformly golden (you may have to turn the dish after about 10-15 minutes for even browning).
  12. Allow to cool and serve while still warm or at room temperature.


No comments:

Post a Comment