There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, September 28, 2015

Herbed Courgette Soup - Published

http://www.mygourmetconnection.com/recipes/soups/summer-squash-soup-fresh-herbs.php

1-1/2 lbs unpeeled summer squash (yellow, zucchini, scallopini)
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup onion, chopped
4 to 5 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
1/4 cup flour
3-1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup half-and-half, whole milk or light cream
1-1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1-1/2 to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (dill, basil, tarragon or parsley)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Note: Choose small to medium squash with tender skins and leave them unpeeled for both extra colour and nutritional value.
  1. Cut the squash into small (1/2-inch) cubes and set aside.
  2. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1-1/2 minutes longer.
  3. Add the flour, combine well and continue cooking, stirring often, until the flour is pale golden in colour, 3 to 4 minutes. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and continue whisking until the mixture is smooth and well blended.
  4. Add the squash and season with salt and pepper. Cover and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the squash is tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
  5. Remove the soup from the heat and, using a hand-held immersion blender (or conventional blender), purée until smooth. Return the pan to the stove, stir in the half-and-half and lemon juice and heat through, 1 to 2 minutes.
  6. Taste and adjust the seasoning, add your choice of fresh herbs, ladle into serving bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment