There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, October 30, 2015

Untested - Moroccan Inspired Pumpkin Soup

From a recipe by Nada Saleh. I don't know where it came from.

2 ¼ lbs peeled sweet squash, seeded and cut into chunks
8 oz sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
5 cups water
1 onion, halved
1 cinnamon stick
2 large garlic cloves
2 tsps salt, or to taste
3 Tblsps olive oil
1 cup chickpeas
1/2 cup fresh or frozen fava/broad beans, skinned
1 tsp turmeric
A pinch of black pepper
4-5 Tblsps plain Greek style yogurt
A large handful or finely chopped parsley or mint
  1. In a soup pot, add the water and bring to a boil together with the squash, sweet potato, onion, cinnamon, garlic, salt, and ½ tsp oil. Reduce the heat to a rapid simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the veg are tender.
  2. Remove and discard the cinnamon stick. Transfer the mixture to a blender or a food processor, or use an immersion blender, and blend until smooth (yet again, and more traditional, press through a strainer). Pour the soup back into the pot and add the chickpeas and the fava beans. Simmer over medium-low heat.
  3. In a small bowl, combine 1½ Tblsps of remaining oil, the turmeric, pepper and yogurt. Stir until smooth. Stir this into the squash mixture and mix well; simmer an additional 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  4. Meanwhile, add 1/2 Tbsp of olive oil to a small skillet and saute the parsley for a few seconds. (If using mint, do not saute, just add the hot oil to the mint.)
  5. Serve hot, topped with the parsley or mint, and eat with crusty bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment