There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, October 22, 2015

Test 3 - Quick curried eggplant

http://www.spiciefoodie.com/2012/08/24/indian-eggplant-curry-and-10-useless-facts/

This is a winner. Make sure the eggplant is well cooked.
3 - This continues to be delicious.

2 large eggplants, peeled, diced into 1/4 x 1/2 inch pieces
2 large tomatoes, diced
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
fresh ginger 1.5 inch piece, finely chopped
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp cumin
¼ tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp Garam Masala
fresh chilli or chilli powder- to your taste
2 Tbsps mustard or grapeseed oil
  1. Place the eggplant into a collander and sprinkle with a healthy dose of salt - about 1-2 tsps, and toss to make sure the salt is well distributed. I use plates to stack on top to help start pressing the liquid out of the eggplant. After about 20 minutes, remove the plates and grab handfuls of eggplant and squeeze as hard as you can to get as much liquid out as possible, and set aside.
  2. Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion, chilli and ginger, until the onion has softened.
  3.  Next add all of the spices and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often to prevent burning. 
  4. Next, add the tomatoes and the eggplant. Mix well so that the eggplant has been well coated with the spices.
  5. Cover and simmer at a medium-low heat until the eggplant has cooked all the way through, is soft and the liquid has evaporated leaving a thick mixture. Adjust the seasoning and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment